What is Universal Credit?

A monthly payment for people of working-age who are on a low income, replacing six legacy benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

What do I need to make a UC claim?

  • Access to a computer and internet – UC claims can only be made online
  • An email address
  • Verification evidence – who you are and where you live
  • Bank account
  • Details of your household members – including their dates of birth

I’ve made a UC claim but I’m still waiting for my first payment, where can I get help?

Claimants can wait up to seven weeks for their first UC payment. We can help you apply for:

  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • UC Budgeting Advances
  • Council Tax Support
  • Emergency Payments for utility bills
  • OVH Hardship Fund
  • Food vouchers

For a directory of local services, see our Help Near You page

What counts as a ‘change in circumstance’?

Here are some common examples of ‘changes in circumstance’:

  • Going from in work to out of work or vice versa
  • Someone moving into or out of your home
  • First child in the household

For more information on changes in circumstance, please check your local authority’s website.

What if I don’t make any changes in my circumstance to my benefits?

Legacy benefit recipients who don’t make any changes will be transferred to UC through managed migration. The Government will start the managed migration process with a pilot scheme in July 2019 with the aim of completing the migration by December 2023.

If you’re affected by the managed migration process, you will be informed by your local authority or the Department of Work and Pensions.

UC changes affecting other benefits

I receive Severe Disability Premium, will I migrate to UC now?

No, those on Severe Disability Premiums will only move to UC through the managed migration process which will be trialed from July 2019.

My partner turns 65 before I do, can we make a Pension Credit claim?

From Thursday 16th May 2019, mixed-aged couples will no longer be able to make a new claim for Pension Credit, instead they have to make a new UC claim.

If you are single and classed as a pensioner, once you’ve reached qualifying age for Pension Credit, you will continue to receive Housing Benefit.